Unraveling Injustice: My Struggles as a Straight Woman in a Predominantly Gay City

A document on a laptop screen- Image Source: Unsplash 

As a human being, it is within your nature to be supportive of others. To root for their success, and offer a helping hand whenever they may be in need. However, it can feel extremely disheartening when the same level of support is not reciprocated, or even recognized. The feeling can further escalate when you see the same individuals you were so devoted to supporting, now demeaning your hard work, ridiculing your achievements or mocking your shortcomings. I've been writing for the past two years and have been actively engaged in documenting the world as I see it. So far, I have produced four books but unfortunately, they haven't been well-received in terms of sales. Nonetheless, the motivation to bring about awareness continues to drive me, and currently, I'm working on my fifth book, shedding light on the effects of bullying. A big part of my personal life story is also intertwined with my living situation. My residence is situated in a city that houses a vibrant gay community. However, my struggle does not revolve around your differing sexual orientations, but the harsh treatment and hostility I have had to face as a straight woman that was born a woman. Just because I don’t fit into the common narrative in the city, I have become an object of scorn and disdain. This unfair prejudice and maliciousness is what forces me to walk the path of resistance every day, as the target of uncalled-for harassment and malevolence. Yes, it is distressing, yes it is disconcerting but remember, at the end of the day, people can only put you down when you allow them to. Just because people throw negativity your way, doesn’t mean you have to let it seep into your psyche.  

Everyday, I feel alone, but it was meant to be. I live in a world with diverse individuals, everyone battling their own struggles. Some days are harder than others, but I hope to continue surviving in the face of adversity and hate, forging a path filled with courage and unwavering strength.

Comments

Popular Post

My New Single "Blasting Thru Yo Speaker' is Out Now!

Terror Firsthand #37: Those Kinds Of Parties

Terror Firsthand #15: A Horrifying Destination

Terror Firsthand #6: Visiting Kodak River for first Time

Terror Firsthand #20: Opp After Opp

Bucket List Solo Camping Planning Presents a Set of Unique Challenges and Struggles